Sunday 12 May 2013

Vegetarian Recipe: Quick Vegetarian 'Lincolnshire' Fajitas?


They say you can take the girl our of California, but you can't take the California out of the girl. No really, they say that all the time. So even though I've lived in England for almost 10 years now, Digital Underground's The Humpty Dance is still my favourite song. I still find it weird cheering for the Clippers. I  regularly take pictures of cars that I think are beautiful. And I am a little bit obsessed with Mexican food. I love everything about it. The beans, the salsas, the freshness, the versatility, the mixture of delicate flavours like corriander (or cilantro as they say in Cali) with earthy beans and tangy lime, tamarind and tomatillo. Oh, and tortillas might be the best thing ever. Dear Mexico, I love your food.

That said....living in England, sometimes it's slim pickings. People: they put sour cream in the guacamole here. No seriously. And it makes me cry. So sometimes one must get creative, when in Rome right? Like check out this little Mexi-British-Vegetarian fusion recipe that is a quick and satisfying, if inauthentic, supper I rustled up the other day featuring Cauldron's Veggie Lincolnshire Sausages. And I know that sounds like it shouldn't work, but I promise it does, and isn't that what fusion is about?



Quick Vegetarian 'Lincolnshire' Fajitas
Ingredients

2 firm 'Lincolnshire' veggie sausages -I used Cauldron
2 sweet peppers
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
3 mushrooms
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander aka cilantro (dried or fresh)
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup of coarsely chopped raw spinach
1 tortilla
  1. Take your veggie sausages and cut them into strips - I sliced them across the round in at an angle so that I got long discs and then sliced each disk in half.
  2. Stir Fry the sausage strips, garlic, peppers, onion, mushrooms in a little vegetable oil and season with lemon juice, black pepper, cumin, black pepper, coriander until the sausage is a little brown, and the onions are soft.
  3. Place fajita bits on warm tortilla add spinach on top of this and roll into a delicious wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment