Saturday 20 April 2013

Bring on the Beetroot Hummus

Beetroot Hummus
Hummus. Delicious hummus. I'm not sure what I'd do without you. Who ever decided to blend up chick peas and tahini into that delectably delightful dip should be given a medal for contributions to mankind. I commend you for making sandwiches less boring and flat bread more tasty.

There is a bit of a knack to making homemade hummus though. I have definitely had a few rough experiences ending up with a pile of bean mush that never quite got the tahini/chickpea balance right and totally missed that garlicky sweet spot. After a few tries I realised that the real secret to making hummus that tastes as good or better than what you can buy from the shop is: garlic powder. No joke. This makes all the difference. You can actually spread the garlic flavour all the way through your hummus rather than ending up in a situation where you taste nothing until you bite into an overly spicy garlic chunk. Lame. I know it sounds like a cheat, but garlic powder is amazing, seriously.

This vegan beetroot hummus recipe is a take on the classic one of my favourite root vegetables. I like it because it's tasty and purple.

Beetroot Hummus
3 boiled beetroot
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon tahini
juice of half a lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cut beetroot into quarters and place in a food processor. Add all other ingredients and blend until you have a chunky mixture. Now it should be ready for dipping, spreading or keeping for later.

I put it on some flat bread, because I love flat bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment