Thursday 16 February 2012

'Cress to impress: what's the deal with watercress?


Who knew that mild mannered watercress was actually a superfood? Yeah, I know, not quite as pretty as rocket and slightly more complicated to eat than spinach:  watercress.
I recently came across this  article from Positive News and turns out that the quiet little sproutling is actually ‘packed with 15 essential vitamins and minerals. Weight for weight, it contains more vitamin C than oranges, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach, more folic acid than bananas’….yeah, watercess! I’ve been upping my quota and I’m loving it. It’s a major crop here so not only do I get to eat tasty greens, but I’m also supporting my local farmers  and eating on the cheap, making it taste event better.
So what about the taste? If you've never had watercress it's really spicy  with a hint of bitterness like eating rhutebega greens. And actually it's actually quite versatile. Soup, salad, sandwich, hot or cold.
My favourite cressipe (you like that? I just came up with it and I’m very proud. Watercress marketing people, you’re welcome to use it.) so far is a simple salad with cheese with I regularly have for lunch. I won't bore you with a 'how to put stuff in a bowl' recipe but here's a lovely Indian recipe for Watercress and Chickpeas from vegetarian blog jugalbandi.

No comments:

Post a Comment